What is Wendy Walk?
The mission of Wendy Walk is threefold:
- Wendy Walk is committed to helping patients and their loved ones cope with the unique challenges sarcoma brings. We send strong messages of hope and encouragement while developing a larger sense of community for patients, their families and their caregivers.
- Wendy Walk goal is to raise funds for grants for international teams of scientists who are committed to finding and developing new innovative treatments for sarcoma.
- Wendy Walk increases sarcoma awareness through our events, publications and our web site, wendywalk.org.
In 2008, Wendy Landes, a successful lawyer, wife and mother of three, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer known as Liposarcoma. She began her battle with grueling surgeries and chemotherapy treatments.
As Wendy continued the fight, her three children; Ali, Matt and Jackie, decided they needed to do something as well. Knowing that there was no go-to treatment for Liposarcoma, they decided to create WENDY WALK in 2010 to raise awareness, proactively support their mom and hopefully find a treatment and cure for Liposarcoma as well as all forms of sarcomas.
Wendy lost her battle with the disease in March of 2013, but she was able to witness the beginning of an annual tradition – WENDY WALK.
Wendy Walks take place in three cities each spring: Miami, New York City and Los Angeles. These walks are less about distance and more about support and awareness. They are family-oriented events to show support for those who are suffering from this disease.
The money raised from the WENDY WALK goes helps to fund international research for sarcoma. It is a race against time with this very difficult disease, but with determination and the help and support of our community, a cure will be found. Please donate now.
In addition, Wendy Walk organizes other social and athletic events to raise awareness and funds for research to find effective sarcoma treatment.
Here are the American Cancer Society’s estimates for soft tissue sarcomas in the United States for 2016:
• About 12,310 new soft tissue sarcomas will be diagnosed
• 6,980 cases in males and 5,330 cases in females
• 4,990 Americans (2,680 males and 2,310 females) are expected to die of soft tissue sarcomas.
WHY WENDY WALK IS UNIQUE
WENDY WALK is one of the only organizations funding research for sarcomas. Sarcoma is an “orphan” cancer, therefore it depends solely on new research. Liposarcoma is a type of soft tissue sarcoma. In relation to other types of cancer, soft tissue sarcomas are quite rare.
While many of the principles governing the evaluation and management of other soft tissue sarcomas certainly apply to liposarcoma, there are many features unique to it that deserves special consideration. Management of these tumors requires a multidisciplinary team approach, and should be rendered in centers experienced in the many facets of care of sarcoma patients. Learn more about Sarcoma, here.
Incredible progress has been made, largely in part to the work of WENDY WALK and its partner organizations, However, much more remains to be done to find a cure, for all who are afflicted with this disease. Please donate now.